Expat Organizations |
Dining Out |
Surabaya Cricket Club
Plays each month during the dry season, on Sunday mornings at the
Surabaya International School field, in Citra Raya. The Club was formed
in 2004, and plays on Sunday mornings each month, during the dry season,
at the Surabaya International School field in Citra Raya. The games usually
consist of two 25-over innings, and the emphasis is on participation and
sportsmanship. The Club was represented in the Bali 6's last year. Visitors
are welcome and challenge matches can be arranged (possibly in conjunction
with cheap golf on some of Indonesia's best courses). Ph 0812-1786928 firstname.lastname@example.org
Surabaya Expat Football Club
A great group of guys to socialise and play football with every Wed in SIS gymnasium and every Sat at SIS sports field. They had a 10 yr anniversary in May 2009! Anyone new to Surabaya who likes football should get in touch with these guys. A mixed bunch of all nationalities.
Surabaya Rhinos Inline Hockey Team
Jl. HR. Mohammad No. 181
Surabaya 60226 East Java
Strategically located in a developed residential area, Puri Matahari is definitely the most sought after prestigious apartment in Surabaya especially with its close proximity to central business activities as well as get-away resort places. Our prime location provides magnificent view of golf courses nearby together with a scenic splendor of the mountains in a distance. Full privacy, safe and secure, clean, and pleasant living environment are indeed our primary concerns. For your convenience, we provide 24 hours concierge service., optional housekeeping and laundry services. A nice and comfortable Tenant Lounge with WIFI facility and VIP rooms are the perfect place to meet your guests and business relations. Our sports and recreational facilities include an outdoor pool, 500M jogging track. BBQ area, outdoor and indoor children play areas, tennis court, basketball/volleyball court, and a fitness centre with sauna, Jacuzzi and Spa. At Puri Matahari luxurious fully furnished or unfurnished apartments are available for short term and long term lease to meet your exclusive taste and needs, ranging from 180 sqm for 2 Bedroom type, 218 sqm for 3 Bedroom, and 311 sqm for 3 Bedroom Duplex.
Other Housing Options:
- Graha Residen, Jl. Darmo Harapan I, (031) 732-9945. Housing complex
for short term and long term rentals.
- Regency Puri Darmo, Jl. Raya Kupang Baru No. 17A, (031) 732-6066
- Various real estate developments: Satelit townhouses, Graha Family, Bukit Darmo Golf, and Citraland
Like most major cities in Indonesia, plenty of golf courses and
driving ranges are available both in and outside the city. Those in/near
- Surabaya Hash House Harriers meet every Sunday.
- Men's indoor soccer club meets on Wednesdays in Puri Darmo
- Women's netball meets on Tuesday evenings at Puri Darmo
- Indo Dive Seafaris located at K/14 Maisonnett. CitraRaya.
(031-740-9135) Full dive center offering PADI dive courses from beginner
to instructor level. Cafe attached to dive center.
Tennis Lessons - A PTR-certified tennis coach offers great-and-affordable private or group tennis lessons for avid players from beginners to tournament level around the Surabaya and Malang areas! Whether you need a tennis lesson or just a hitting partner to play with, please contact John at 0888-535-2229 to schedule an appointment or email email@example.com.
- Surabaya Zoo, Jl. Setail 1, Wonokromo (beside Joyoboyo bus station)
- Ciputra Waterpark at Citraland is excellent, well laid
out, spotelessly clean and well policed by lifeguards, etc.
- Taman Safari, one hours drive from Surabaya
- Various playgroups organized according to age group
- Pakuwon Supermal and Cartoon Kingdom Family Entertainment Centre. Something for the whole family to do and a great place for the kids to play and run around, whatever the weather!
- Water bills are delivered to your home and you are expected to provide payment on the spot in cash. If you are unable to do so or there is no one at home when the bill is delivered, you will be given the address of where you are to make the payment to. In some serviced apartments, water bill has been incorporated in your rent, please check with your landlord if you are staying in one.
- Phone bills are no longer delivered to your home but still must be paid by the 20th of each month. You can check your phone bill at infobill.telkom.co.id
- Electricity bills are also not delivered to your home. Check with any PLN office for due dates as different areas have different due dates. You can check your electricity bill at www.pln.co.id
- Payment of most utilities can be made at the local Telkom office, PLN office, at your bank (ATM, mobile banking, internet banking, etc.) or autodebit by credit cards. Check with each bank whether they provide such service.
- Power outages sometimes occur during the raining season.
- Hokky in Plaza Graha Family (favorite local destination for fresh fruits and imported items)
- Papaya (specialty foods, caters to expatriates), Jl. Raya Darmo
Permai Selatan 3
- Ranch Market (wide selections of fresh fruits, poultry, seafood and meats of various cuts as well as imported items) located at Galaxy Mall (closes at 10 pm) and ICBC Center, beside Tunjungan Plaza I (open 24 hours).
- Carrefour in several locations around the city, including Jl. Raya A. Yani No. 260 (close to the airport); 3rd floor of Golden City Mall; and Jl. Raya Dukuh Kupang No. 126. Most Carrefour stores are open from 1000-2200.
- Hero Supermarket in Tunjungan Plaza I
- Giant Hypermart on Jl. Mayjend Sungkono No. 133-135
- Surabaya Town Square (also known as Sutos) - a mall with state-of-the-art cinema and many restaurants & cafes serving cuisines from all over the world. There are also pub and nightclub that cater to socialites.
- Libby's Brownies located at Jl. Raya Gubeng, near Plaza Surabaya.
- Mirota, Jl. Sulawesi No. 24, 567-6926
Shopping Malls and Department Stores
- Sogo Department Store, located inside Tunjungan Plaza IV
- Tunjungan Plaza I-IV
- Pakuwon Trade Center
- Lenmarc Mall at Jl. Bukit Darmo Boulevard
- Grand City Mall at Jl. Gubeng Pojok
- Ciputra World at Jl. Mayjend Sungkono
- Pasar Atum, a mall that has been opened since the 70s, selling anything from garments to kitchenwares.
- Plaza Surabaya or Delta Plaza
- Galaxy Mall
- Ace Hardware, located at Tunjungan Plaza I, Galaxy Mall, and Supermal.
- Many tailors can be found in Pasar Atum and in the Shangri-La Hotel
- Nike Warehouse Center Jl. diponegoro 152, Surabaya beside Mahameru Restaurant
Sporting goods may be found in specialty stores in the malls. Visit also Veenu Sports in Darmo Park.
Hospitals frequently used by expatriates:
- International Hospital
- Dr. Soetomo, Jl. Professor Dr. Moestopo No. 6-8, (031) 534-0061
- Rumah Sakit Darmo, Jl. Raya Darmo No. 90, (031) 567-7562
- Mitra Keluarga, Jl. Satelit Indah II, (031) 734-5955
- RKZ (Catholic hospital), Jl. Diponegoro No. 51, (031) 567-7562
Schools in Surabaya
Puri Widya Kencana, CitraLand
Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
Tel. +62 31 741-5018
Student Population: 1,040
Executive Director: Mr. Erik Hoekstra
An International Baccalaureate World School offering the IB Primary Years Programme, IB Middle Years Programme and IB Diploma Programme.
Sekolah Ciputra is the only school in Surabaya authorized to offer each of the highly respected International Baccalaureate (IB) Programmes. The IB Primary Years Programme commences in Play Group, formal education for 3 year olds, and continues until the end of Elementary Grade 6. The IB Middle Years Programme covers the first 4 years of the High School, Grade 7-10, providing excellent preparation for the IB Diploma in Grades 11 and 12.
Programs are taught in English by qualified and experienced native English speaking expatriate teachers and bi-lingual Indonesian teachers. Maximum class sizes in Play Group are 20, ranging up to 24 in the Elementary School and High School.
Specialist facilities that support the teaching programs include wi-fi throughout the school, 4 computer laboratories, 2 learning resource centres, a music and recording suite, ballet room, drama rooms, art and technology rooms, science laboratories, full sized gymnasium, outside covered basketball court, football fields and a shared oval with Surabaya International School for athletics. All classrooms are air-conditioned and have Smartboards. Ciputra Hall, an auditorium seating 700 with an exhibition space and specialist Music and Drama suites, was opened in 2013.
Our expatriate and Indonesian students directly enter leading universities overseas, with former students currently studying in the United States, Australia, Canada, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan and China.
Surabaya Montessori School Preschool and Kindergarten
Somerset Puri Darmo
Jalan Raya Kupang Baru 17 A,
Tel. +62 31 732 6066 Ext. 171 Fax + 62 31 732 6287
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
the international community and is run by a certified Montessori teacher.
Surabaya European School
Jl. Raya Kupang Baru 17A
Surabaya, Indonesia 60189
Tel. (62-31) 731-5062
Fax (62-31) 731-5062
Levels - to year 10, English National Curriculum
Enrollment 75 (and growing steadily!)
Surabaya International School
Citra Raya International Village, Lakarsantri
Tromol Pos 2/SBDK
Surabaya 60225 Jawa Timur
Phone (62-31) 741-4300, 741-4301
Fax (62-31) 741-4334
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Curriculum - American curriculum modified for International Students.
Program includes pre-school(age 3) through Advanced Placement (AP) studies
and American HS Graduation diploma.
Larry Jones, Superintendent
Enrollment - 300 students
Singapore National Academy (SNA)
Jl. Raya Pepelegi, Pondok Maspion IV Block G-H 1-6
Surabaya Tel. +62.31.853 1920
Fax +62.31.853 1923
Current Enrollment: 450
Sophmore International School
Raya Darmo Permai II / 17
Tel. (62-31) 731-4047
Fax (62-31) 734-8790
Curriculum - Indian / Singaporean - kindergarden, elementary, junior
and high school
Enrollment: 200 Children from 18 Nationalities
Ms. Sanjana, Principal
Bambini Child Care & Preschool
Villa Sentra Raya A2-1
Social life evolves around hotels. Popular places are:
- Portofino in the Shangri-La hotel
- Desperados in the Shangri-La (night club with foreign bands)
- Primavera in Hyatt Hotel
- Tavern (night club)
- La Rucola (previously Trattoria) Italian Restaurant, Jl. Dr. Sutomo 51, (031) 567-8557 (reservations recommended, especially on weekends).
- Casa Fontana Ristorante Italiano, Jl. Imam Bonjol 119, (031) 567-7679 (Reservation recommended, especially on weekends).
- Dream of Kahyangan: judged to have the best Indonesian food in Surabaya - Jl Citraraya, Citraland; (031) 7411999
- Dewa Ndaru: similar to Dream of Kahyangan for fabulous Indonesian food – Jl Mayjen Sungkono; (031) 5651888
- Citrus Lee: western fusion food, great for getting your steak fix - Jl. Kutai No. 12, Surabaya (031) 561-5192
- Jamoo – the buffet breakfast at the Shangri La Hotel is a regular event for most expats but the buffet lunch is also popular and relatively cheap: Shangri La Hotel, Jl Mayjen Sungkono, Surabaya (031) 5661550
- Vis a Vis French Restaurant at the JW Marriott: excellent French food . Jl. Embong Malang No. 85-89 JW, Surabaya - (031) 545-8888
- Platinum Grill: fusion food in a great setting overlooking the Graha Famili Golf Course: Graha Famili Blok S, Surabaya West – (031)-7388990
- Ambrosia – another fusion restaurant in the Graha Famili area with good quality food in a pleasant setting: Jl. Raya Dian Istana, Dian Istana, (031) 752 6800.
- Sitara Indian Restaurant: the only Indian restaurant at present in Surabaya: Jl. Gajah Mada No. 1, Surabaya031-5667353.
- De Soematra 1910: set in a house built in 1910 and beautifully restored with lots of antiques and photos, the food is just as beautiful: Jl Sumatera 75, Surabaya, (031) 5010-666
- Citylites Restaurant and Bar: top floor of the Java Paragon Hotel with fabulous views north over Surabaya and Madura; expensive for what you get but the view …: Jl Mayjen Sungkono opposite the Shangri La Hotel – (031) 562 1234
- The Loop – an area near the Pakuwon Supermal in West Surabaya with a wide range of restaurants and cafes. Jl Bukit Darmo Boulevard, Pakuwon
- G Walk – a strip of warungs, restaurants and cafes of all sorts. G-Walk, CitraLand, West Surabaya
- SUTOS – Surabaya Town Square: many restaurants catering for all tastes, eastern and Western – Jl Mayjen Sungkono
Sightseeing in Surabaya
- House of Sampoerna: Museum, Café, Cigarette Factory and Surabaya Bus Tours - Taman Sampoerna 6, Surabaya (http://houseofsampoerna.museum/)
- Masjid Al Akbar: largest mosque in Surabaya; take the lift to the top of the minaret for a view of Surabaya and its surroundings – Jl Gayungsari, Pagesangan
- Arab quarter and Masjid Ampel: oldest mosque in Surabaya with a “souk” leading up to it – Jl Ampel Suci 45 or Jl Ampel Masjid 53
- Hong Tiek Hian Chinese Temple: oldest Chinese temple in Surabaya – Jl Dukuh, Surabaya
- Cheng Hoo Mosque: unique Chinese style mosque – Jl Gading, Surabaya
- Four Faced Buddha statue and Chinese temple by the sea: Jl Sukolilo 100 Surabaya
- Suramadu Bridge: joining Surabaya and Madura Island; especially colourful at night with an interesting light display
- Lapindo Mud Flow: environmental devastation at the southern end of the Gempol Toll Road
Of special interest are the Chinese and Arab quarters and the old Surabaya harbour is very picturesque. The Arab Quarters of Surabaya and its Grand Mosque and Mausoleum of the Saint King Raden Rahmat is an interesting siteto visit as well.
Sightseeing Outside Surabaya
Malang - nice colonial-type city (2 hours drive south of Surabaya).
Mount Bromo - (4-5 hours from Surabaya)
The nearest beach is located approximately 3 hours drive away. It
is located on a small island (Pulau Ketapang) near Probolingo. If you
continue eastward for another two hours there is another nice beach, Pasar
Pulau Sempu (on the south coast directly below Malang) - It's a small uninhabited Island, which has a little lake with a white sandy beach on it. Beautiful place. It is about a 3-hour drive from Surabaya.
Tretes: two waterfalls to see.
Nice for walking and horseback riding. About one hour from Surabaya on
the way to Malang.
Trowulan & Brass Village: visit the ruins of the Majapahit era over several sites but all relatively close to each other. There is a museum that includes archaeological digs. Nearby is the Brass Village where you can buy all sorts of brass objects - about 2 hours south west of Surabaya, past Mojokerto
Bull races on Madura: held from about July through to October – something you must definitely experience at least once while you are here – about an hour across the Suramadu bridge north of Surabaya
Ijen Mountain: walk up with the sulphur miners and look down into the lake filled caldera – about 5 hours south east of Surabaya
Batu: enjoy a cooler climate just two hours south of Surabaya, quite close to Malang. Make sure you stop for some martabak at the Rumah Makan Cairo -delicious
Authentic Java Tours
Experience Authentic Java: the awesome scenery, the distinctive culture, the fascinating history, the fine historical remains, and the welcoming Javanese people.
Authentic Java Tours is led by an English-speaking expat, Graeme Steel, who has a thorough knowledge of Java, having lived on the island for 24 years. With his outstanding network of local contacts and proficiency in the Indonesian language, he enjoys sharing his knowledge of authentic Java with others. Graeme has written numerous articles on Java for magazines including Island Life, Jakarta Java Kini, Kem Chick's World, Pipe and other media. He is a contributor to the most recent edition of the Rough Guide to Indonesia, and his photographs of Indonesia have been published in a number ofpublications.
Our tours take you to the real Java beyond the obvious tourist spots. Explore at first hand the local culture and the hidden beauty of Java. Benefit from Graeme's authoritative and intelligent commentary en route, and see places that many have not.
Travel on your own, with family, friends, or in small like-minded groups that are as discerning as you are: people curious about and interested in engaging with authentic local culture.
Consular Offices & Cultural Agency
Belgian Honorary Consulate
Jl Darmo Baru Barat I No. 22
Honorary Consulate of France
Centre Culturel et de Coopération Linguistique
Jalan Darmokali No. 10
Tel. (031) 561-5246
Fax (031) 567-6529
Netherlands Consulate in Surabaya
Jl. Imam Bonjol 36
Tel. +62 31 5662409
Fax +62 31 5662414
Honorary Consul of the Slovak Republic
Jalan Sikatan No. 39
Tel. (031) 352-1516
Fax (031) 354-4016
U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya
Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2
Surabaya, Indonesia 60217
Tel: (62) 31-297-5300
Institut Francais de Indonesie
Jl Ratna 14 Block C2
(031) 503 5035
Our grateful thanks to Erik Hoekstra and Stefaan Vancolen for their extensive research
to put together this information for intending expat residents of Surabaya and to Hendro Kiantoro for sharing some much needed updates with the community!
If you have additional information to contribute on Surabaya living,
please contact us and we'll be happy to incorporate
Last updates made January 20, 2013