Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates

Check out What's New on the Expat Web Site
Information for foreigners moving to Indonesia

Home » Practical Information » Visas and Documentation

Repatriation of Expat Remains to Home Country

Practical Information for foreigners, expats and expatriates moving to Indonesia - find out about housing, schooling, transport, shopping and more to prepare you for your stay in Indonesia

Translate this Page

Bookmark and Share
Links to hundreds of articles giving practical information for expats moving to Indonesia
Post your questions or communicate with other expats in Indonesia on the Expat Forum
Looking for a place to stay in Indonesia - check out the Housing Forum
Looking for a weekend or holiday getaway ... visit some of Indonesia's Great Escapes
Advice and resources for conducting business in Indonesia
Info on expatriate community organizations in Indonesia
Shops, Products and Services
Links to other useful Indonesian or expat-related web sites
Expat Humor - spread the joys of Living in Indonesia through e-postcards
Site Map
Return to the Home Page
expatriate information for Indonesia

Steps and procedures for the needed permits to repatriate remains if an expatriate passes away in Indonesia

Recently I received the sad news from one of my clients that one of their expatriates had just passed away in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan. The body was to be cremated in East Kalimantan, and the ashes would be brought by his family to his home country of Australia.

Here are the steps of getting the permits for the purposes of Cremation and bringing the ashes to your home country.

Step 1:

The company who sponsored the expatriate or the family of the expatriate has to request a formal letters of statement of death & cause of death from the hospital, which is called:

1) “Surat Keterangan Pemeriksaan Kematian
 2) “Surat Keterangan Karena Penyakit Menular/Tidak”

The hospital will request a copy (and you must to show the original as well) of the passport and ITAS/ITAP card of the deceased expat.

Step 2:

Upon the issuance of the letters in step 1, next you have to request a “death report” or “Surat Keterangan Kematian” from the Neighborhood Chief (RT/RW) where the expatriate resides in Indonesia by submitting a copy of the:
1) “Surat Keterangan Kematian” from the hospital
2) Copy of the passport of the deceased expat
3) Copy of the ITAS/ITAP card of the deceased expat

Step 3:

After you obtain the letters from “step 1” and “step 2”, next you have to take the letters to the municipal office “Kantor Kelurahan” to obtain a Death Report Form - “Formulir Pelaporan Kematian”.

Step 4:

Next you need to apply for a confirmation letter from the local Manpower Department stating that the expatriate who was working for the Company (company name mentioned), has passed away.

Step 5:

Take the copies of the:

1) Surat Keterangan Pemeriksaan Kematian & Surat Keterangan Karena Penyakit Menular/ Tidak – from hospital
2) Surat Keterangan Kematian – from RT/ RW
3) Formulur Pelaporan Kematian – from Kelurahan Office
4) Passport, ITAS/ITAP card, IMTA/ Work Permit
5) SKPSKPS or certificate of temporary resident permit - KIP / SKPSKPS
6) Confirmation letter from the local Manpower Dept. (step 4).

These forms/letters will be used to apply for the “Kutipan Akta Kematian” or Death Certificate at the Civil Department (Suku Dinas dan Catatan Sipil).

Step 6:

Once the Death Certificate is issued by the Civil Department, then you can apply for the Exit-Permit Only - “EPO KITAS” at the local Immigration office. The required documents are:

1) Copy of Death Certificate issued by Civil Dept. (must show the original too.
2) Some photographs of when the expat passed away
3) Statement letters (as step 1) from the hospital
4) Sponsor letter from the company

Step 7:

Copies of the permits/ documents (step 1 to step 5) will be required by the crematorium to perform the cremation of the deceased expatriate. The crematorium will issue a statement of the cremation after performing the cremation, and put the ashes in the cremation vase.

Step 8:

Upon finalizing step 7, the family can apply for a police report for bringing the ashes/corpse to a different province in Indonesia, or country overseas, called the “SURAT KETERANGAN MEMBAWA JENAZAH KELUAR DAERAH/ NEGERI”. This should be applied for at the local police department (Resort Police Dept.) before you attempt to bring the ashes to the home country.

I hope this information will be useful to whoever foreigners or expatriates who live in Indonesia.

Our thanks to Ratna Agustina of Rami Formality Services for sharing this information with the community.

Updated: 10 Dec. 2014

Housing and schooling information for expats in Indonesia expatriate website for Indonesia Indonesian language translation of article

Practical Information for foreigners, expats and expatriates moving to Indonesia - find out about housing, schooling, transport, shopping and more to prepare you for your stay in Indonesia

Practical Information |  Expat Forum |  Site Map  |  Search |  Home Page |  Contact

Return to top

Copyright © 1997-2018, Expat Web Site Association Jakarta, Indonesia All rights reserved. The information on Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates may not be retransmitted or reproduced in any form without permission. This information has been compiled from sources which we, the Expat Web Site Association and volunteers related to this site, believe to be reliable. While reasonable care has been taken to ensure that the facts are accurate and up-to-date, opinions and commentary are fair and reasonable, we accept no responsibility for them. The information contained does not make any recommendation upon which you can rely without further personal consideration and is not an offer or a solicitation to buy any products or services from us. Opinions and statements constitute the judgment of the contributors to this web site at the time the information was written and may change without notice.