Home » Practical Information » Preparations for Moving to Indonesia
Import Regulations for Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
Documents Required from shipper for working expats
- Original Passport
- Original Residence permit (ITAS Card) valid for 12 months – Issued by Indonesia’s Immigration office
- Original Work Permit (IMTA) valid for FULL 12 months – Issued by Indonesia’s Labor Dept
- Authorization Letter from Shipper
These permits must be valid for a minimum of 52 weeks (not less). If the permits are valid for a period under 52 weeks the shipper is subject to import duties and taxes.
All of the above must be provided (no exceptions) or shipment cannot be customs cleared. Additional port storage and demurrage charges will apply on a daily basis until all above documents are provided and in complete order.
In order to qualify for a duty-free clearance of household goods, the shipment must arrive in Indonesia within three months of the shipper's arrival in Indonesia with the approval to process a work permit. If you have two shipments, the second shipmentment must arrive within 3 months of the arrival of the first shipment. If later than that, the shipment could be rejected.
Documents Required for Retirees Shipping Household Goods to Indonesia
The following documents are required by customs to clear your shipment:
- Original passport of shipper
- Original notification letter from local authorities (from RT, RW, Lurah and Camat) stated the expat's residency in Indonesia
- Original certificate of police registration
- Original temporary residence card for foreigners
- Original statement letter from client’s embassy stating that he will reside in Indonesia
This shipment is subject to payment of import duties/taxes.
- Customer must be in the country (Indonesia) for clearance to commence.
- Shipment will be 100% inspected
- Household goods must have been in customer’s possession and use for at least one full year, and for the customer’s continued private use in Indonesia (not for re-sale)
- Only one air and one sea shipment of household goods allowed duty-free
- Air and Sea Shipment must arrive within three (3) months after client’s date of arrival in Indonesia.
- Only one of each major appliance is allowed duty-free with the exception of air conditioners
- New articles and items not listed on inventory
- Material in Chinese (pictures, tapes, etc.) will require proper permits and is subject to censorship and confiscation
- Medicines (prescription required)
- Antiques (may have problems re-exporting)
- Video tapes, CD's, DVD's, laser discs and books are subject to censorship. Prepare a list of titles and authors
- Foodstuff (in reasonable amount)
- Large quantities of any type of product will slow clearance and result in high duty
- Explosives, weapons, firearms, and ammunition
- Narcotics and drugs of various kinds*
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animal skins
- Pornographic or politically sensitive literature
Under no circumstances should alcohol be included in the shipment.
*Illegal Drugs are dealt with severely in Indonesia. Sub-sections 112 and 113 of the Anti-narcotics law of 2009 carries a maximum sentence of death before a firing squad for anyone caught smuggling in drugs.
Please note importation of a car, motorcycle and any kind of parts, spare parts, etc are strictly prohibited.
NOTE: Presence of any Dutiable/Restricted/Prohibited items in shipment will greatly delay clearance and increase charges considerably.
Charges Incurred At Port/Airport Of Destination
- Port Storage Charges for Sea Shipment
Port storage charges will always occur from the arrival date of the shipment until it’s customs cleared.
- For FCL shipment : US$2.00/Cbm/day
- For LCL shipment : US$13.00/Cbm/day (min 4 Cbm)
2. Demurrage Charges:
- 1 X 20FT Container
- Free of charge for first 3 to 5 days
- 5 to 10 days - US$20/day
- 11 to 15 days - US$30/day
- 16 days & onwards - US$40/day
- 1 X 40FT Container
- Free of charge for first 3 to 5 days
- 5 to 10 days - US$30/day
- 11 to 15 days - US$40/day
- 16 days & onwards - US$55/day
- Airport Storage Charges for Air Shipment
- 1st day onwards - US$0.12/Kgs/day
NOTE: This Port Storage, Demurrage and Airport Storage charges are in approximate amount only as they are always based on the SS Line or Airline choice. Final charges can be higher or lower than this amount. However, this is good indication and will hopefully assist.
Information on the Importation of pets
Indonesia is a difficult country when it comes to customs clearance process. Normal customs clearance takes from 6 to 7 working days for Seafreight, and 2 to 3 working days for Air freight, providing the documentation is in order.
The average time to obtain documentation certifying valid work and residence permits can range from 4-6 weeks after arrival of the shipper in Indonesia with a one-year visa from the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate.
It is recommended that the shipper prepare a list of titles and authors of books/publications to allow customs the option of cursory inspection.
It is unwise to include any shipment boxes which are marked with any name but the shippers. This could delay or jeopardize clearance.
Contact information for the Customs Department
Last updated March 9, 2021